As your pet ages, their healthcare needs to become greater.
Since pets age at a faster rate than humans, Valleydale Animal Clinic recommends an exam every six months after your pet reaches age 7 to help them be happy, healthy and pain-free.
Good senior pet health care should be a discussion between you and your veterinarian about:
- Diet and weight management
- Joint health
- Cancer screening
- Heart disease screening
- Dental care
- Diabetes screening
- Function of thyroid, kidneys, and liver
- Eye and vision health
- Pain management
Regular Preventative Care Exams are Important for Senior Pets
Regular exams and testing allow us to determine what is normal for your pet. Knowing these results helps us detect any abnormalities or problems early on. When diagnosed early, many conditions can be successfully managed, leading to better outcomes for your pet and, often, reduced treatment costs.
Valleydale Animal Clinic has developed a comprehensive senior wellness program that meets the needs of your senior pets:
- Complete physical exam - evaluates the heart, lungs, eyes, ears, abdomen, joints, and skin
- Intestinal parasite exam – checks for worms
- Early Disease Detection Testing:
- Urinalysis – detects ph balance, crystals in urine, abnormal cells, and urinary tract infection
- Blood tests – evaluates the liver, kidneys, thyroid levels, blood sugar levels, white & red blood cell count, and platelet count
*We may also recommend further diagnostics based on exam and test results. Contact us today for your pet's appointment.